- The Walk for Cultural Change will commence from Johannesburg Worker’s Library in Newtown on the 21st May and ends two weeks later on 6th June 2008 at Department of Arts, Culture and tourism in Pietermaritzburg.
- A mid-morning press conference will be held a day before The Walk for Cultural Change commences
- There will be media briefing regarding the primary objectives of The Walk for Cultural Change
- Twelve participants will consist the Walk for Cultural Change’s duration. However, artists and sympathizers are welcome to always join the march for the kilometers of their choice and at whichever point
- Participants of The Walk for Cultural Change are expected to undergo minimal training of one month prior to their participation
- Banners announcing the objectives of Walk for Cultural Change will always be present
The Walk for Cultural Change is primarily aimed at fundraising for the establishment of the new entity called United Proactive Artists. This entity is going to be mainly managed by artists with the following objectives:
- To unite and create employment for cultural practitioners in all disciplines and spheres of the arts i.e. through raising sponsorships from the public sector and the private sector, both internationally and locally
- To support financially artists who are unable to work as a result of old age, disability and illness
- To fight for the rights of artists as cultural workers and guard against their exploitation
- To distribute funds to disadvantaged artists or cultural entities nationally
- To rehabilitate and assist artists from abusing toxic substances e.g. drugs, alcohol, etc., etc.
- To establish multimedia school that will be accessible to all disadvantaged yet talented students
- To ensure regular employment by organizing artists’ own cultural events e.g. music concerts, film screenings, theatrical shows, poetry performance, etc., etc.
- To act as security in case artists need to make a loan, purchasing a car, purchasing a house, property, etc., etc.
- To create a burial scheme for artists
- To conduct regular business skills workshops for artists in order that they obtain and develop better understanding of show business e.g. the signing of contracts, money saving options, co-op or individual investments